Part-Time Junior Cartographer Position
We are an art studio specialising in handcrafted and hand painted world globes.
We are looking for a GRAPHIC DESIGNER to join our team, working with our Head of Cartography.
Each and every globe we make is bespoke to order and one of a kind in some way. Some customers choose to have hundreds of small edits and added pieces of personalisation. There will be training to the level required – but aesthetic judgement is very important and we are looking for someone who has a good eye for layout.
This is a 98% digital job but in a very creative environment. We have our own illustrator so the role will be more around operating and organising.
More about the role and what we are looking for:
– Technical experience in Adobe Illustrator is most important thing by far
(You can expect extensive, complicated files with 70,000+ paths, 3000+ text objects)
– File organisation and being meticulous with layers and details.
– Good planning, organisational and communication skills are a must.
– Typography/layout skills and general composition of small elements
– Meticulous attention to detail
– We are looking for someone enthusiastic, self-motivated and driven
– Good research skills (researching Statistical and geographical data, historical travel routes and unique globes) finding information, confirming sources etc.
– You should have excellent aesthetic judgement – you must understand the relationship between 2D projections and visualise the outcome as a globe.
– Knowledge of GIS and Adobe Photoshop a bonus.
– You should be comfortable working alone as well as a part of a team. We are looking for someone who spots problems and makes suggestions for improvements.
– There is no wiggle room when it comes to spelling mistakes, you truly must have a good eye and show diligence in even the simplest edits.
Daily life will usually include:
– Simple edits – marking cities, changing colours/place markers.
– Major edits – placing illustrations/quotes, travel routes by car/boat/plane.
– Cartography updates – research and implementation of data from credible sources.
– Mockups of personalisation (edits) for customer.
– Communication with our head of customer relations and sales manager, head of production and illustrator.
– Managing printing of files for the makers and painters including re-sizing files according to their needs.
– Answering the phone time to time – you should be confident talking & taking messages.
– On occasion editing photos and doing layout jobs with the company sales material.
We hope anyone applying does have a genuine interest in maps/cartography and awareness of physical and political geography. Your design design will need to align with the company design aesthetics.
This is a part-time position to start, with an average work week of 2 to 3 days, starting on the first week of July.
Starting salary is the London Living Wage.
You should have a portfolio of work and please include a cover letter explaining why you think this is the right job for you and what relevant experience you have. Applications without a portfolio or cover letter will not be considered.
The role is based in Stoke Newington, please apply if you live in London and N16 is a location you are happy to travel to on a daily basis.
We will close the application process on the 25th of June, 2021.
Please do not phone, applications by email only to [email protected]