We are an art studio specialising in handmade and handcrafted world globes. We are looking for a new cartographer to join our team.
Each and every globe we make is bespoke to order and one of a kind in some way. Some customers choose to have hundreds of small edits and added pieces of personalisation.
More about the role and what we are looking for :
- Technical experience in Adobe Illustrator is most important thing by far (extensive, complicated files with 70,000+ paths, 3000+ text objects)
- File organisation and being meticulous with layers and details. Good planning, organisational and communication skills are a must.
- Typography/layout skills and general composition of small elements
- We have our own illustrator so the role will be more around operating and organising
- This is a 98% digital job but in a very creative environment
- Meticulous attention to detail
- We are looking for someone enthusiastic, self-motivated and driven
- Knowledge of GIS a bonus.
Daily life will usually include:
- Simple edits – marking cities, changing colours/place markers
- Major edits – placing illustrations/quotes, travel routes by car/boat/plane
- Cartography updates – research and implementation of data from credible sources
- Mockups of personalisation (edits) for customers
- Print resizing
- Managing printing of files for makers and painters
- Answering the phone time to time – you should be confident talking & taking messages
- Helping the owner of the company with various tasks
- Photographing products and editing photos
We hope anyone applying does have a genuine interest in maps/cartography and awareness of physical and political geography. You should have great artistic awareness and design sense.
You should have excellent aesthetic judgement – you must understand the relationship between 2D projections and visualise the outcome as a globe.
You should be comfortable working alone as well as a part of a team. You will be working alongside another designer and will always be able to ask questions and be trained on anything unclear – but we are also looking for someone who spots problems or makes suggestions on improvements on their own.
This will be a senior role in the company with opportunity to work on other projects and in other areas depending on your background in the arts or interests.
Application process –
CV’s that do not show your aesthetic for design will not be considered for an interview. You should have a portfolio of work and please include a cover letter explaining why you think this is the right job for you and what relevant experience you have.
The role is based in Stoke Newington, please apply if you live in London and N16 is a location you are happy to travel to on a daily basis.
Please do not phone, applications by email only to [email protected]